Does Penal Code section 3051, subdivision (h), violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment by excluding young adults sentenced to life without the possibility of parole from youth offender parole consideration, while young adults sentenced to parole-eligible terms are entitled to such consideration?
Review on this issue has also been granted with briefing deferred in:
- People v. Garcia (2022) 83 Cal.App.5th 240, review granted 1/11/2023 (S276858/A161579, A161644)
- People v. Gonzalez (B302834/B303671) [nonpub. opn.], review granted 2/15/2023 (S277936)
- People v. Alvarez (B317490) [nonpub. opn.], review granted 4/12/2023 (S278726)
- People v. Bolanos (2023) 87 Cal.App.5th 1069, review granted 4/12/2023 (S278803/F082970)
- People v. Sutton (F079285) [nonpub. opn.], review granted 4/19/2023 (S278770)